We’re hiring a Lead Production Brewer!
Salary: 50/60k a year
Upstreet was founded in 2015 with the mission to Refresh The Community. As Prince Edward Island’s only B Corp Certified Company, we are doing business differently and making an impact. We brew award-winning Upstreet craft beer and Rewind seltzers and, after only a year, have achieved national recognition and distribution with Libra, our innovative line of non-alcoholic beer. In 2021, we produced 6500hL of beer, seltzer, and NA beer and, thanks in big part to Libra, are planning to double that in 2022 by adding new equipment, distribution, and (of course!) people. This is your opportunity to join one of Canada’s most unique breweries and beverage producers and help us achieve our vision of creating & owning the category of balanced lifestyle beverages.
The Lead Production Brewer leads the production of beer and non-alcoholic beer from grain to glass as well as the production of other beverages including vodka seltzers and sodas. They are ultimately responsible for the production of all beverages produced, the quality of all products and supervising the daily activities during production. More than simply being able to effectively replicate recipes, the Lead Production Brewer strives to continuously streamline the brewing and cellaring processes and be aware of industry trends and best practices. This person will also work closely with the Innovation Brewer to scale up production of Libra non-alcoholic beer for distribution across the country.
Specifically, the job duties will include:
- Oversee Brewing and cellaring operations
- Brew days tasks (brewing, cleaning, milling, etc)
- Relieving staff brewers when necessary
- Cellaring tasks (carbonation, fermentation logs, transfers, etc)
- Maintain documentation of batch records, cleaning logs, product specifications, brewing logs and SOPs
- Ensure quality control procedures are accurately completed
- Managing ingredients and supplies for beverage production
- Scheduling resources for beverage production, and supervising brewers and cellar people
- Perform regular inventory counts
- Help identify and execute improvements
- Work with Innovation Brewer on scaling of pilot batches, technical transfer from R&D into production, recipe changes, and various other tasks
The qualifications for success in this position include:
- Certification as brewmaster (or equivalent) with at least 5 years experience brewing commercially.
- Preference for experience in a production brewery
- Detailed knowledge and experience with brewing process
- Detailed knowledge of beer styles
- Strong mechanical aptitude
- Accustomed to repetitive tasks.
Working at Upstreet:
This is a full-time permanent position. Brewery hours are typically 6AM-6PM during peak production. Brewers work 8hr shifts such as 6AM-2PM or 10AM-6PM. Some evening and weekend work as dictated by the beer fermentation schedule.
How to Apply:
Our online application will give you the option to apply for this role as a complete person – not just a resume. The application will assess your qualifications, personality traits, and workplace preferences, and should take 10 to 15 minutes to complete. After submitting, you’ll receive an email inviting you to log in and view your assessment results.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us.
We will review applications, with priority given to those who have completed the assessment, and look forward to hearing from you.
We will be accepting applications until March 25th!